“Owning your power: Morgan Stanley’s Carla Harris on succeeding in business” by Daniel McCoy, Wichita Business Journal
The following is a reformatted excerpt from the article containing key questions from Carla Harris, Vice Chairman, Wealth Management at Morgan Stanley to help you identify what you want out of your career.
These are great questions to ask yourself. Share and discuss your answers with your mentor, your manager and other members of “your team” to develop and execute your strategic plan.
- Why am I taking that seat?
- What skills do I want to get?
- What experience do I want to get?
- What networks do I want to build?
- What kind of people do I want to meet?
- Once you look at the seat — meaning the job — then you can ask why am I in this house (company)?
- Do I like the career platform, the trajectory?
- Do I like the people?
If you know why you are doing what you’re doing, it will keep you motivated and inspired to deliver excellence.
If you don’t know and you just took a job to take a job, it’s really easy to become distracted. But if you have a personal agenda, you’ll know when it’s time to move — when it¹s time to change the seat, or when it’s time to change the house.